As someone who is honestly not usually a fan of potatoes, the flavors and textures in this potato salad make it a winner for me. The potatoes are soft on the inside, have a crisp texture on the outside, and are topped with a deliciously savory tahini dressing with pops of garlic and ginger. To really set it over the edge, it’s then loaded with roasted peanuts, cilantro, mint, scallion, and some thin sliced jalapeno. Basil would also be a great addition. This is a salad that will have people scratching their heads and then devouring every bite!
Jalapenos concerning you? Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be spicy! You can opt to take out the seeds of the jalapeno for a much milder spice or even toss in some sliced small snacking peppers for no spice at all.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cooking Time: 25 minutes | Serves: 8
|for the TOPPINGS||the GINGER-TAHINI SAUCE|
|3# mini-potatoes, mixed colors||2 Tbsp lime juice|
|4-5 Tbsp high quality olive oil||1½ Tbsp toasted sesame oil|
|¼ cup tahini|
|the TOPPINGS||1 Tbsp tamari or coconut amino|
|2 scallion, thin-sliced on the bias||2 tsp maple syrup|
|1 jalapeno or sweet pepper, thinly sliced||1- inch piece ginger, grated|
|¼ cup fresh mint leaves, torn||3 garlic cloves, finely minced|
|½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped||2 tablespoons ice water|
|¼ cup roasted peanuts|
- Cover potatoes with cold water, add 2 Tbsp salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer until tender but not soft, around 12-15 minutes. Drain, and pat dry.
- Smash – not mash – the potatoes with half the oil. Place in an edged pan with about half the oil and press (not poke!) with a fork so the sides burst but they’re still mostly intact. Toss with remaining oil.
- Crisp the potatoes under the broiler for 8-10 minutes, or bake at 425 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients except until relatively smooth. Add the ice water and whisk again until thick but pourable. Salt as needed.
- Let potatoes cool slightly and then toss with dressing. Place on your serving platter and scatter the toppings. Enjoy!