Our original August 2022 recipe was for Za’atar Grilled Summer Squash. We wrote “Easy, breezy, backyard casual! All it takes is 3 minutes to prep, another 8 on the grill. Your squash comes off flavorful and tender. It has grill marks. It’s vegan. Everyone is happy.”
The same can be said about this version. Thing is, once you start grilling squash, it’s easy to grill even more, and to use different spices.
Here we use Shichimi Togarishi, a Japanese 7-spice blend of chilis, citrus, seaweed and sesame. If you haven’t tried it… try it! Lovely on plain boiled rice, and just like za’atar, it makes a phenomenal avocado toast.
|6 medium summer squash||mayonnaise|
|shichimi togarishi||lime or yuzu|
You’ll notice I don’t list amounts. That’s because it’s pretty variable. Sorry for being so vague!
- Slice the summer squash lengthwise into planks, roughly as thick as a pencil
- Brush both sides of each plank with mayonnaise. You don’t want to use a lot — just a very thin coat — just enough so the spices will stick
- sprinkle the shichimi togarishi on both sides. You may want to taste it first, to get a sense of the heat level.
- Preheat grill to medium-high, and grill roughly 4 minutes on each side, using tongs to flip.
- Serve with a squirt of citrus, and as much salt as you want.